Home / First Aid / Wasp Stings first Aid for Wasp Stings

Wasp Stings first Aid for Wasp Stings

Wasp stings can be excruciatingly painful. Unlike bee stings the wasp stinger is not left in the skin when a wasp stings you which can allow a wasp to sting you repeatedly. Make sure to get away from the wasp infested area as soon as possible to prevent being stung repeatedly or worse, so that wasp won’t call in its reinforcements and have them help him defend the hive.

If you know you are allergic to wasps then you need to carry any emergency medications with you whenever you are in and around wasp infested areas. Allergic reactions to wasp stings can be life threatening if not treated immediately.

There are several methods to treat wasp stings. Pick one or all of the methods to alleviate the painful stinging sensation as well as the swelling associated with a wasp sting.

The first thing you want to do after being stung is to neutralize the poison that the wasp has injected into your body. This can be done in several ways. If you have access to lemons or limes you can slice one in half and hold the cut end against the area that has been stung. The acid in the lemons or limes will help to draw out the poison. Leave the lemon or lime on for about 15 to 20 minutes to draw the poison out of your system.

If you do not have fresh lemons or limes, you can also use lemonade or limeade, or in extreme emergency, open up a can of frozen lemonade concentrate or limeade concentrate and apply the icy mixture to your sting.

If you use homeopathic remedies Apis is a wonderful treatment for stings of all kinds. Take the recommended amount of pellets (this will vary according to the strength of Apis you are using) and place them under your tongue. This works quickly and effectively to neutralize the poison in your body.

Benedryl (diphenhydramine) will act against the swelling and the allergic effects of a sting also. Take the recommended dosage. You can also get benedryl in a salve or ointment and apply it directly to the sting.

Ice is also very effective against the swelling. Make yourself a compress (or use a bag of frozen peas or other frozen vegetables) and apply to the affected area for about 20 minutes.

If treated immediately you should not have much lasting effect from a wasp sting the following day. Even an eyelid that was swelling shut should be functional the next morning if you neutralize the venom and ice the affected eyelid.

A wasp sting can be painful for anywhere from a few minutes to several days depending on the type of wasp that stung you, what body part you are stung on and whether or not you are allergic to wasps.