What about all of the myths that surround all of the health risks associated with taking too many of any of the B class of vitamins?
B12 Vitamin overdose, is it a myth or a real possibility?
For starters, most of the horror stories about vitamin overdoses have been done without any real or relevant research or facts, or the basic understanding of the difference between a water-soluble vitamin and a fat soluble vitamin.
Overdose of this vitamin or any of the B class of vitamins is virtually impossible, as they are water soluble vitamins
So what makes a water-soluble vitamin so much different than a fat-soluble vitamin?
B12 Vitamin overdose is a myth simply because as a water soluble vitamin it is dissolved in water and transmitted through our bodies, and than eliminated through our urine, and as a result, we need constant supply of them in our bodies, just like the other B class vitamins.
Fat soluble vitamins, on the other hand, are absorbed in our bodies and are stored in fat, thus the term fat-soluble vitamins.
Excesses of fat-soluble vitamins are stored in the liver, and there are potential issues with these vitamins that include Vitamins A, D, E and K, if taken in excess.
All of the B classes of Vitamins as well as vitamin C are water-soluble, making B12 vitamin overdose as well as overdose of any of the water-soluble vitamins virtually impossible.
According to the Linus Pauling Institute, perhaps the most prestigious vitamin and mineral institute in the United States, there are absolutely no toxic or adverse effects that are known to have ever been associated with large intakes of vitamin b12, let alone any kind of regular type of intake in this or any other B class vitamins.
B12 Vitamin overdose again most likely has been conjured up by some reporter that has very little knowledge of how vitamins actually work.
Doses as high as 1 mg or 1000 mcg taken orally have been successfully used to treat pernicious anemia, which is a form of megaloblastic anemia because of a Vitamin B12 deficiency that is caused by impaired absorption of the vitamin.
B12 vitamin overdose again is so highly improbable because even when high doses of the vitamin are taken orally, as only a small percentage can be absorbed by the human body.
In fact, because of the low toxicity, there was no tolerable upper intake even set by the Food and Nutrition Board when the RDA was revised in 1998.
A high quality liquid vitamin or mineral supplement is by far the best for the all around supplementation process because it will deliver nutrients in the right balance.
The key to the proper supplementation of any vitamin is how it is delivered, and than how well it is absorbed.
Before combining any supplements, you should consult your doctor or pharmacist for advice, or simply stick to a high quality multi liquid vitamin that has the most of what you need and simply add the additional nutrients you seek for your specific needs.
As all of our body’s age, they become less efficient at absorbing some of the nutrients from our diet making it important to ensure that the right quantities of relevant vitamins and minerals are consumed.
Here is some other of the symptoms and some of the myths that surround a few other vitamin overdose myths.
Vitamin B1 overdose (Thiamin). Since thiamin is a water-soluble vitamin, and as such, excess amounts will be excreted in the form of urine, just like in B12 vitamin overdose, this is also a myth.
There again are no known toxic or adverse effects other than high doses of riboflavin therapy that has at times shown to intensify urine to a bright yellow color, but this is a harmless side effect to any B1 vitamin overdose.
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) has no known effects from foods or normal supplements, but there is some adverse effects with pharmacologic preparations of niacin.
Nicotinic acid can produce flushing, itching, and in some cases even cause gastrointestinal disturbances such as nausea and vomiting, and this is referred to as a Niacin flush.
Niacin flush benefits far exceed these stomach irritants, as high doses of nicotinic acid lowers cholesterol levels. It is very important to note that when you do get a niacin flush, it is an actual indication that niacin is at work not harming your body, but actually is improving your blood flow.
It is essentially causing the small blood vessels in your to expand, which is detoxifying your blood. This process is neither harmful or is it dangerous.
In fact there have been five different clinical trials in major U.S. hospitals that has proven that niacin has improved several cardiovascular measures in your body such as reducing both cholesterol as well as triglyceride levels, reduced the chances of strokes as well as heart attacks with the usage of this vitamin.
But none the less, there are still people that do not do the proper research that will tell you that the B class of vitamins can actually be harmful to you.